Monday, November 29, 2010

Important Factors To Consider When Buying A Laptop


Purchasing a laptop is a very confusing business these days. There are so many models and makes to choose from it’s hard to know where to begin. Some important factors to consider include:

  • Price
  • RAM                                            
  • Speed                                                         
  • Weight                                              
  • Portability
  • Battery Life
  • Screen size
  • Software

Price is probably the biggest factor to consider when buying a computer. It is the factor that determines what we can and can’t have. As students we can’t afford the best of the best, buy we still need reliable, sturdy machines. The best way to determine what’s right for you is to shop around and I would highly recommend asking friends who already are laptop owners, what they think. In my opinion one should think of their laptop as an investment. Yes it does cost quite a lot of money, but it will greatly aid you throughout the years you study for your degree and, if you treat it with care, will stay by your side until graduation.

As a student of technology I would demand much more from my laptop than most. I need high processing speeds because heavy-duty programmes needed for my course, such as Adobe Photoshop, are very demanding on the processor. RAM is also hugely important when running programmes like Photoshop, which consumes a lot of memory. So ensure you know that whatever computer you decide to buy has the ability to complete the tasks and chores you need it to do.

 Although I require quite a lot from my laptop I still wouldn’t consider a desktop. As a student portability is an essential. Like thousands of other students I travel home from college every weekend. I need to be able to bring my computer with me or I would be restricted on working on college projects between Monday and Friday. It is for this same reason that weight is an important factor to consider when buying a laptop. Students tend to carry their laptops around quite a lot. Dragging a heavy laptop to and from college each day can be a pain. The screen size you choose will have a huge effect on the weight of your computer, so try not to get too carried away! Your back will thank you for it.

Battery life is yet another item to consider. Fully charged your battery should last between two and three hours. You need to be able depend on your laptop’s battery power, as you may not know when you will need it most! Also be sure to ask when purchasing the laptop how much it would cost to replace the battery. A friend recently had to fork out €150 to replace his. You have been warned!

There are countless other factors to consider when buying a laptop. I have only covered a handful in this essay. My final piece advice is to be certain of what you want from your computer. How can you be sure of getting what is right for you if you have yet to figure out what exactly that is?  Also I would urge you not to rush when making such an important purchase. Shop around and take your time!!

Best of luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment