Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ICT - Article 1 - Artificial Intelligence




The first article I have chosen to write about deals with the fascinating subject that is artificial intelligence. Researchers from the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid's Facultad de Informática have developed a computer program capable of human emotion recognition from automated voice analysis. As a psychology student I found this extremely interesting. Could there really come a time when machines could do the job of a trained psychologist? 

The technology dealt with in this article is extremely intricate and complex. I have only a basic understanding of how the programme operates. However I do understand how significant this research is and what it could mean for future generations. The line between computers and humans is most definitely beginning to blur.

The programme is not perfect. It does not guarantee 100% accuracy. However it can offer the results as a percentage. For example it might find that someone is 73% angry or 22% sad. In my opinion the programmes inability to offer complete accuracy does not in any way diminish from it’s sheer brilliance. It isn’t so long ago that the idea of computers understanding us on an emotional level was found only in sci-fi movies. I myself cannot believe that I may one day be able to have a conversation with a computer or, even scarier, befriend one. 

This type of technology is still in its infancy. It will no doubt become more and more sophisticated as each year passes. I am constantly reading of new advancements and achievements in this field of research. There are those who find this particular type of technology unnerving. They fear that developing machines that could be mistaken for humans is going a step too far. I myself worry that a day might come when robots are so sophisticated that there will be no need for us mere mortals anymore. Why allow a human to do what a computer can do much better and much faster?

This debate will no doubt continue for many years to come. For now I am definitely behind the advancement of this fascinating and intriguing technology. Click the link below to read the article and decide for yourself whether you agree with what these scientists have achieved.


Computer program recognizes human emotions from conversation analysis

No comments:

Post a Comment